The Children of the Middle East

Monday, February 8, 2010

OUR GOVERNMENT OFFICES - SLOW AS MOLASSES



I had to go to the Superior Courthouse today to pick up a photocopy of my custody order.  I decided to leave work a little early (3:00 pm) to arrive well before the closing time at 4:30 pm.  After being thoroughly searched upon my arrival (my laptop bag, purse, coat pockets) I was told to ask at the second door on the left on where to go.  I went there, stated my request and was told to pull a number outside, have a seat and wait until my number was called.  It didn't look too busy, just a handful of people were seated waiting their turn. 

I asked the man who was seated next to me (he was number 36) how long he had was and was told 1 1/2 hours.  After about ten minutes, he was called in.  I still was optimistic though.  A lady then came out and asked who was single filing and she would take them to move along the process.  Most of the people between 36 and my number 45 had left, so I figured I would be up soon.  At 4:20 pm the same civil servant came out and said that they would only take people up to 5:00 pm.  I was sure that I would be called soon, but to make sure I was in the right place told her I was not filing anything, only getting a copy of my custody order.

The same civil servant came out at 4:40 pm to tell us we may not get served.  I explained that I had left work to do this.  I called prior to coming to do this and was not told that it would take forever to get a photocopy.  She suggested that I come back tomorrow as there was still a number prior to mine being called and they would be next.  I probably would not be served as they lock the office at 5:00 pm.


I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how inefficient this is.  Why would you put people with simple requests, such as a copy of something with people who are filing court cases which might be time consuming.  Even if I had wanted to ask a simple question, I would be out there waiting prior to being able to ask someone my question.

Now I have to go back tomorrow and do this again.  I will lose time from work again.  At least, I will be smarter this time and go in prior to work.  I figure that I will be served before 5:00 pm if I show up at 8:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment